At Meridian, your child will receive the necessary individualized attention to thrive in the classroom. Although it seems like a big school, each teacher and staff member knows your child’s name, and homeroom teachers communicate regularly with our parents via progress reports, report cards, parent-teacher conferences each trimester, and emails, phone calls and texts.
Some new features for SY17-18 include:
- Bi-weekly classroom progress sheets that inform you of your child’s academic and behavior progress
- Classroom websites that are updated with summaries of quarterly curriculum (for all subjects), daily and weekly homework information, and class events and other important information throughout the year
We celebrate each child’s unique skills and interests, and work with families to ensure successful transitions to the next grade level. We welcome parental involvement and know that your input is crucial to your student’s success in school and beyond.
Read more about our policies and procedures and access forms.
Visit our Parent Center!
Meridian’s Parent Center is an open resource for Meridian parents, and offers numerous programs free of charge. These programs are designed to promote students’ emotional, physical, social, and intellectual strengths. Parents can also use our computers to find jobs, check email accounts, and learn about parenting.
Meridian has a full-time bilingual parent coordinator to provide support to our Spanish-speaking families, who provides interpretation and translation support, organizes events, and coordinates parent outreach.
Parent Center Hours of Operation: Monday–Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
If you have questions about the Meridian Parent Center or any of the programs offered, please contact Ms. Maple Lewis, Program Coordinator, ext. 203 or Ms. Hilda Marquez, Parent Center Coordinator/Translator, ext. 204.
Learn more about workshops at our Parent Center.
Before and after-care
Meridian offers families the following options for before care and aftercare for SY2018-19:
- Operated by Meridian at both the Elementary School and the Middle School; please apply using the online application at tinyurl.com/MPCSBeforecare1819 or return the paper application to the Front Desk, ES Parent Center, or by email to email@example.com.
- 7:00 – 8:00 AM at the ES; 7:00 –7:50 AM at the MS
- COST: $50 for 1 child; $60 for 2 children; $70 for 3 children/every two weeks, paid with a credit or check card via Square machine in the school, or via our website (credit cards, PayPal and ApplePay beginning on/about August 10, 2018) or money order payable to "Meridian Public Charter School". No cash or checks accepted.
- Program begins on your child’s SECOND day of school. Students MAY NOT attend before care on their first day of school.
AFTER CARE PROGRAMS
- YMCA ANTHONY BOWEN 3 o’clock Club at Meridian Public Charter School - Elementary Campus
- Open to PK3 – 8th grade students (no pick up or escorts from the MS).
- Part Time (3 days/wk), Full Time (5 days/wk), and Early Release only (Thurs, 1-3:30p) options available
- PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS: Wellness initiatives, tutoring assistance, and support in an environment that promotes learning and academic excellence. Includes recreational swimming (twice a month in warmer months), cooking classes, rock climbing at the YMCA
- COST: Annual, one-time $50 registration fee + community program membership fee $62 (or $114 for 2 more children) + $300/month/ES student for Full Time; $210/month/ES student for Part Time; $60/month for Early Release only , paid to the YMCA Anthony Bowen
- The YMCA will provide financial assistance of up to 10% of the full time monthly cost for a limited number of qualified families in need. Additionally, Meridian will subsidize the monthly cost for qualified families in need up to 10%, giving priority to families with students in grades PK-5.
- Complete registration form and/or the financial assistance application and submit it with all requested supporting documentation to the ES Parent Center, the YMCA Anthony Bowen, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- BETA MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY - 1353 Florida Ave NW
- Will pick up students ages 5 and up (may take some mature and eager 4.5 year olds) from the Elementary School daily, including Early Release Thursdays
- Program highlights: Kids Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Mixed Martial Arts + homework help, a free Gi (uniform for martial arts), and free full day camps for holidays and selected professional development days. In addition to martial arts, students learn responsibility, accountability, focus, discipline and respect.
- Cost: 2 days/week = $75/week or 11 payments of $265.91; 5 days/week = $125/week or 11 payments of $443.20
- See flyer and application forms for more details; submit completed application forms to email@example.com
- KINGMAN BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB – 1529 Kingman Place NW
- Will pick up students ages 5 and up from the Elementary School daily, including Early Release Thursdays
- Program Highlights: A year round program that provides educational, cultural, athletic, recreational, and employment opportunities to young people to ensure they are successful and socially responsible adults.
- Cost: Fees are on a sliding scale, also accepts DC Child Care Voucher (subsidy).
- For more information contact Ms. Bibbs (Intake) 202-483-1210. See flyer for more details.
- CENTRO NIA Studio R.O.C.K.S.– Due to circumstances beyond our control, Centro Nia will not be able to provide before and aftercare services to Meridian families this year. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- MERIDIAN SPONSORED CLUBS, SPORTS AND TUTORING
- Clubs and sports will begin the week of September 9, 2018
- Afterschool tutoring will begin after the conclusion of fall MAP testing the week of September 22, 2018 at the Middle School and October 22, 2018 at the Elementary School. Tutoring will be for selected 2nd-8th graders with greatest demonstrated academic need
Before and after care FAQs
Why doesn’t Meridian run its own aftercare program anymore?
Meridian was offering aftercare services to families at a below market rate. It is possible that when the program was initiated, it was offering fair and competitive pricing. But after many years of operation without increasing costs, it was determined that the school could not continue to operate the program without incurring significant financial losses. Further, we found that other providers offered richer, higher quality programming than what Meridian had been able to offer on its own in recent years.
How did you select the YMCA Anthony Bowen as your aftercare provider?
First, we researched and had discussions with multiple aftercare providers and found that the average cost for aftercare in DC starts at around $300 a month. We then examined the programs offered and selected the YMCA because their programming offers rich enrichment activities like recreational swimming and cooking classes in addition to homework completion and after-school snacks. The YMCA Anthony Bowen is also a member of our community, just one block from Meridian. Finally, they offer pricing comparable to other after care providers as well as their own financial assistance. We continue to work with the YMCA Anthony Bowen to explore options for expanding the financial assistance available to Meridian families over the course of this school year.
Read through our policies and procedures.